How it works
Action For Elders will work with older people within two communities served by Bay Health Cluster Network.
Co-ordinated by a Community Ambassador, Action for Elders will also recruit a Social Host to facilitate two weekly groups focused on building friendship, tackling isolation and loneliness.
Better Together: The five key phases:
- DISCOVERY: At the beginning, we will hold co-design workshops with lonely, isolated older people living within communities to understand their specific needs and interests. This will enable us to design an approach which meets these needs.
- ENGAGE: We will brief GPs and other primary health practitioners about the project and through the Community Ambassador we will introduce a referral system to identify older people most in need of our support. The Community Ambassador will also raise awareness of the project with other local networks and encourage self-referral among older people. Better Together volunteer Champions – again recruited from local communities – will be critical in engaging older people and encouraging them to join the programme.
- SUPPORT: We will run weekly Better Together groups in two locations, each facilitated by a Social Host – and supported by our Better Together Champions – who will deliver activities based on older people’s needs identified during the co-design. Based on experience, we expect these activities to include group discussions, social eating, group activities such as music and crafts, health information and health literacy, or digital inclusion for health (e.g. using health websites).
- EVALUATE: We will design and deliver a mixed-method evaluation; to assess the impact on individual health and importantly, community wellbeing, which we feel will be integral to the success of the project for older people.
- SHARE: We will build on our existing networks – particularly the reach and scale of Public Health Wales – and work in close collaboration with the Health Foundation to share our findings widely. We will also encourage older people involved in the project to share their journeys of change through case studies and digital storytelling.
To find out more, please get in touch.
If you’re an older person in Swansea who would like to participate in the new groups, or you know someone who could benefit from support, we’d love to hear from you. We’re also seeking volunteers to help in a range of ways.
You can call us on 030 330 30132 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Action For Elders is a company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales under number 7698491 and registered as a Charity number 1145996
Action For Elders CIC Company No. 7604286 ©Copyright 2019 Action for Elders
Registered office: Elfed House, Oak Tree Court, Mulberry Drive, Cardiff Gate, Cardiff CF23 8RS